Thursday, February 10, 2011

I'm Home... Yippee!!!!! Home Sweet Home!!!!!

Surgery went well. The anesthesiologist says that my Doctor is very proud of himself and his staff on how well my surgery went. I am now at home (Thursday, 2/10/11) and have all of my scripts filled. Came home and Tyson turned the guest bedroom into "Bonnie Rose's Recovery Room"! He is such a great husband. He doesn't want me going up and down the stairs, and he wanted me to be able to have the heater (no vent in our bedroom) and our bed is up really high so I have to strain to get into it :( He brought an old TV in and the cable box from our bedroom! He also made me Jell-O when we got home and there's an ice-cube tray of chicken broth in the freezer so I can microwave and drink it pre-measured (1oz per cube)

Tuesday, 4am
Tyson and I left for Overlake in Bellevue. I had to be here at 5:15 am and we got there right around 5. They brought me upstairs to the Family Surgical Unit so I could check-in and let me know I could have 2 people in my pre-op room. Mom and Tyson were both there so that worked perfectly! Right around 5:45 they brought me back to the surgical prep room. I got changed, got a "Bear Hug" (a warm air-blower gets put into a hollow blanket to keep me warm. It's kind of like an airbag that is shaped like a blanket! It seemed as though the next 1.5 hours went by SO SLOW. They gave me my IV sleepy meds at 7:30 and wheeled me into the operating room. The last thing I remember is moving onto the other bed, the surgeon saying hello and congratulations and then I woke up. I don't remember the recovery room, just being in my permanent room. It is a nice room. I have my own private room. There is a chair and a love seat that the end of slides out to enlarge into a single bed. That is perfect, because Mom is going to stay tonight with me. Tyson needs to go home and feed the dog/cat. He'll be back tomorrow. For today, I can't have anything by mouth. Not even water. They gave me these things called Dentips. They are basically a small sponge on the end of a stick. I can dip them in water and then ring them out so they are almost dry again and wipe it on my lips and inside of my mouth so at least I don't have cotton mouth. I am really tired today. I can barely stay awake, but don't want to fall asleep until Tyson leaves. The nurse just came in and I am going on a walk. Tyson is leaving now too so I'll go to sleep when I get back.

Wednesday, 2/9

4:30am - Nurse woke me up to weigh me and get me on my first walk of the day! I actually gained 4 lbs between yesterday and today, but that makes sense because they have been pumping me full of liquids for 24 hours.
7:30am - X-Ray of my torso while I sip contrast so they can make sure I don't have any leaks and that the liquid is going straight through without getting held up in swelled spots or anything.
10:00am Dr came in to see me. He looked at the X-Ray and said that everything looks great. They'll be bringing me water shortly.
When they brought me the water, they also brought me some medicine cups. I'll be drinking 2 medicine cups per hour (it's 1oz in a cup) minimum. It's been a couple hours since I started water and I'm drinking 4 oz per hour. My maximum allowed is 8oz per hour and I am well on my way to that! (max allowed is also the amount he wants me to be at) I got a shower today!!! felt wonderful!!! I went on about 12 laps around the floor today. Everyone is very proud of me and how well I am doing. Tyson was here for two of my walks! Mom went home after traffic stopped tonight. I went a couple walks after she left and then around 11pm decided to put my CPAP (sleep apnea machine) on and go to sleep. I think I slept for about 3 hours before my IV ran out and the alarm started going off. I think I slept for another hour after that. Then I had to go to the bathroom so they had to come in and take the compression leg wraps off for me. I wore these compression wraps that are kind of like the bear hug thing that kept me warm during surgery, but they wrapped around my legs to keep me from getting blood clots. Yesterday I wore them all day, but only while I was sleeping tonight since I've been walking during the day.

Thursday, 2/10
I think I slept for about 3 hours before my IV ran out and the alarm started going off. I think I slept for another hour after that. Then I had to go to the bathroom so they had to come in and take the compression leg wraps off for me. I wore these compression wraps that are kind of like the bear hug thing that kept me warm during surgery, but they wrapped around my legs to keep me from getting blood clots. Yesterday I wore them all day, but only while I was sleeping tonight since I've been walking during the day. The second time I woke up I decided to take my first walk of the day. They weighed me then too. I am still the same 4lbs up from Tuesday. Can't wait for it to go the other direction!
I should be going home today! I am glad, but worried. It's always easier to do things when they are being put in front of you to do (walking drinking etc) The doctor came in and talked to me around 8:30 this morning. He asked me (quized me) about what I have been doing and will be doing once I got home. Says I will start taking my vitamins in one week. This week focus on getting all of the liquids and as much of it as possible from protein shakes. I have a schedule of when to drink both things. I finally got to go home around 1:30 the nurse admin came in and did my discharge. YAY I'm going home

No comments:

Post a Comment